Monday, July 03, 2006
today i bought a new cd. guess the language...japanese music. ok, it's not the traditional jap folk songs but more of the jap pop songs...like Ayumi Hamasaki, SMAP and MISIA ect. the more electone/organ sort of songs.
was testing out the songs online in the morning while doing my chi va...hehe..too bored lah. then decided to get this CD called Ultra Blue by Utada Hikaru. She's quite a popular singer...which shermin has been trying to promote to me for the past 2 years. but wasn't really into it last time.
hmm, realised that jap music can be nice to...i wouldn't say listen to, but rather enjoy. it can actually be refreshing to listen to music that is of an unknown language just because you wouldn't understand what is being sung. honestly, i don't even know what the heck Utada Hikaru was singing in her songs 99.95% of the time unless its those 1 or two english words in her songs.
i realised that when you listen to songs of an unknown language (just knowing the title of the song is enough), the whole song is up to your interpretation. I would say it's like lit. There's no rite or wrong answer. Take the title of track 13 Passion in Ultra Blue, passion can mean lots of stuff...red, love, danger, fantasy, impulse ect. ect. I realised that when I listen to such music, somehow I'm forced to blank my mind, numb my senses from the real world and just indulge. No one's gonna tell me I'm suppose to sympathise with the female character in the song who has just fallen out of love, or bounce to the music of Jolin Tsai's kan wo 72 bian.
Somehow I learnt that music is not meant to be listened to, it's meant to be felt.
{/7/03/2006 06:32:00 pm}
sweet sensation XD